Home | Documentation | Atomic Chat | Github

Status update and passing the reins

Hey all, I’ve been on a hiatus these last couple months. I’ve spent the last 7 years on technology startups, including 2 game engine startups, and it is time for some Life™ changes.

I am officially retiring from the project and would like to pass the reins to the community :camel:. This includes the repository, website, discourse, etc. I will need to shutdown the local CI, so a solution for that will need to be found.

The Atomic Game Engine represents a summit in my career. I am extremely thankful to the Atomic Contributors, Urho3D Project, and business entities which have helped make Atomic a reality!

Thank you!

Wow, really sorry to hear that!

I’ve been keeping up with the changes, but really don’t have the bandwidth to be a regular maintainer or contributor. I still believe Atomic/Urho have a really good approach to game dev and Entity Component Systems. Sorry to see you hand over the reigns, but you’ve been pouring your heart into this and it shows.

Best of luck on your next project!!

I wish you the best in your Life™ changes and futur endeavor!

Hopefully the community can keep the project alive, it would be sad to see all this great work die.

Thank you for all you’ve done!

Hay, You’re outstanding in your field :slight_smile:

Life™ has a way of rearranging your priorities, and you got to take care of what is important. You have done something amazing and important here and hopefully the community can build on the solid foundation you have laid down. Thanks for all the hard work, vision, and the guidance. Best of luck on the next adventure, whatever that might be.

Really sorry to hear that Josh, but I wish you the very best in your new endeavors. You’ve built a great thing here, and I really hope the community can step up to make it even greater!

Sad to see you go. We will all miss working with you here. Best of luck!

We’ll all miss you @JoshEngebretson! We wish you the best of luck in your future work! Atomic was the first game engine that I got into and was able to understand well. I sincerely hope that the community will be able to go on developing the engine and creating games with it. This really puts the community to the test, but I have confidence that we can pull through. I hope that you check in on us every once and a while,

-Clockwork

I guess we’ve known this was coming for a while now… but still kinda sad to see it in writing. What you’ve started though is really impressive Josh and I think you can be really proud. Its not everyone that (almost) single handedly pulls off an entire MMO and a working game engine with SDK, editor and tools in one lifetime :smiley:
Really excited to see what you do next.

Atomic is still going strong and the community are working on some cool stuff… so hopefully we’ll have some big announcements of a more positive kind before too long :smiley:

Thanks guys! I appreciate the well wishes and recognition! This has been both a very long and oddly brief 3 years. I am very proud of the technology and community we have built with Atomic, high fives!!! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

On the website, I would suggest using GitHub Pages and a github.io domain. Though, if you want to do something custom, like @darrylryan’s excellent Atomic wordpress site, I can point the domain at new hosting.

The main thing is making sure the new host has SSL. I have been using Let’s Encrypt for a free SSL cert. If you want to go with the GitHub domain, I can setup a forward… which may be a little hairy from https:// to http:// redirects. I am not sure if they have SSL for GitHub Pages quite yet, so that could be an issue on that route.

There is some other admin stuff to sort, like code reviews, landing PR’s, Discourse, Gitter, and all that… Let me know if there is anything I need to configure moving forward. It will probably take a little time to figure out, no huge rush.

There is serious experience and talent in the Atomic community. I am looking forward to playing Atomic powered games and seeing where y’all take the tech, cheers guys! :beer: :slight_smile: