Home | Documentation | Atomic Chat | Github

Problem With Android Build

Hello
I have not been having any problems with AGE so far, except for the Android build.
There seem to be some problem reading the sdk path.
Here is the console’s readout:

Starting Android release Deployment

Buildfile: E:\GameDevelopment\GameProjects-Workshop\Atomic_Projects\MyGame\Android-Build\build.xml

BUILD FAILED
E:\GameDevelopment\GameProjects-Workshop\Atomic_Projects\MyGame\Android-Build\build.xml:81: Cannot find C:\UsersJohnAppDataLocalAndroidsdk\tools\ant\build.xml imported from E:\GameDevelopment\GameProjects-Workshop\Atomic_Projects\MyGame\Android-Build\build.xml

Total time: 1 second

Notice the path C:\UsersJohnAppDataLocalAndroidsdk\tools\ant\build.xml
This does not exist, since there are no slashes separating the directories.
Can someone help with what’s causing this problem, and how I can resolve it? Thanks

I’m not sure the answer to this but I’m gonna tag @JoshEngebretson so he sees this, he’s working on making things nicer for Android at the moment I think.

Thanks. I’ll stay tuned.

Hello, please see the Android section in the Atomic Cookbook, the one on the environment setup may be of particular help: https://github.com/AtomicGameEngine/AtomicGameEngine/wiki/Atomic-Cookbook#android

This seems like it may be an Android Studio installed SDK issue we’ve seen before…

Hi @JoshEngebretson
It is an Android Studio SDK installation, which I have been using for years now, with all Android builds.
Does your engine use a CodeWorks SDK setup instead?
I could try that, and see if it makes any difference.
However, if this is an issue, is there a way I can manually set the path in the xml, so that the engine doesn’t have this problem?

Buildfile: E:\GameDevelopment\GameProjects-Workshop\Atomic_Projects\MyGame\Android-Build\build.xml

BUILD FAILED
E:\GameDevelopment\GameProjects-Workshop\Atomic_Projects\MyGame\Android-Build\build.xml:81: Cannot find C:\AndroidADTsdk\tools\ant\build.xml imported from E:\GameDevelopment\GameProjects-Workshop\Atomic_Projects\MyGame\Android-Build\build.xml

Total time: 0 seconds

From this readout, it appears that Android Studio SDK installation isn’t the problem, since CodeWorks SDK gives a similar error.
It appears the directory may not be the problem either.

I made another attempt. This time I tried the ToonTown example. The build succeeded.

Boy this sure is slow on the emulator. I hope that isn’t the case on a device.

So the problem lies elsewhere.
Or maybe it’s just a little bad-behaved at times.:grin:
I’ll do some troubleshooting to make sure everything works fine.
Don’t bother with this guys.

Yup. Just to clarify…
@JoshEngebretson you’re definitely right. The problem is with the Android Studio SDK setup.
All builds were successful with CodeWorks SDK setup. Failed otherwise. Thanks.

Great, thanks for the feedback too :+1:

On Android in general, I believe these are the droids to look for: Android Studio Integration

ToonTown should not be “slow on device”, I did notice a number of lights being changed to be shadow casters in the example scene. These should be flipped off by default on mobile, and maybe on for a “high quality” setting.

I’m not sure if the lights “cast shadows” are a problem. I used another example, with just Roboman, boxes and crates, and the floor, and it ran the same way.
I do realize that when I run it with no other programs running, it performs way better. So that means my system’s lack of available resource memory is the problem. It also runs better on my device.
I am not seeing ToonTown on my device though. I hear the music playing, but the screen is black.
@JoshEngebretson. Has anyone else experienced this?