Home | Documentation | Atomic Chat | Github

Building atomic

After building for various platforms using the pre-built binary, I came to the conclusion that atomics default build was too bloated for web game exports so, I asked around on gitter if there was any way for me to shrink the size of the player to Web game friendly levels.After looking at the wiki on how to build the editor and build atomic specifically for web development.Upon trying to build, I got stopped by this error

Building Atomic Editor, this process will take a few minutes

rm -rf C:\Users\email\Desktop\atom\AtomicGameEngine-master/Artifacts/AtomicEditor/
events.js:142
throw er; // Unhandled ‘error’ event
^

Error: spawn cmd ENOENT
at exports._errnoException (util.js:856:11)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:179:32)
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:345:16)
at nextTickCallbackWith2Args (node.js:455:9)
at process._tickCallback (node.js:369:17)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:433:11)
at startup (node.js:141:18)
at node.js:977:3

I thought it was an issue with nodejs so ,I cleared all global node_modules except typescript,Then i went to separate node projects and attempted to use nodejs in them to see if it was a global issue or a local issue,and as it turns out it’s strictly local

I am not sure what your target size is, though when compressed and cached the web player is pretty small. The provided build isn’t compressed, there may also be some size savings when targeting WASM, which hasn’t been done yet. It is also possible to remove features from the player and in the past I have made a 2D only build (so didn’t have Bullet/Detour/etc, and was quite small compressed, I seem to remember 1.6 megs or so)

Do you have Visual Studio 2015/2017 installed with the C++ compiler toolchain? I would like to make whatever that error is more descriptive, though it is complaining about a directory or file missing… with VS2017, the C++ compiler is optional and must be selected.

I do have Vs2015 and CMake installed, I tested it with sfml after I got that build error,And are thier any guides on just building the player with 2D features only.I’m not expirencd with c++ or c so i wouldnt feel safe to just go in and change things

Do you have cmake on your path?

The 2D only build hasn’t been updated in many moons, I think we should get the WASM stuff configured first to see what kind of web player sized that yields. I do still think it is important to have a 2D only build, especially for web. BTW, you’ll need emscripten installed, etc as well to build out the web player. This is somewhat involved, though Mozilla has some pretty good docs on setting it up.