Home | Documentation | Atomic Chat | Github

Atomic Player Orientation

Hello All,

I was trying to make my first game with the Engine, but I do not see any option to rotate the player from landscape to portrait. Is there any setting to change somewhere?

You can specify the player dimensions in the editor config. In windows, this is located in:

I can’t give you the location for other platforms offhand, but if you search for prefs.json you should find it.

Within this file, there is a block like the following:

"playerWindow": {
    "x": 0,
    "y": 25,
    "width": 1280,
    "height": 720,
    "monitor": 0,
    "maximized": false

Modify the width and height to what you want for the player, and restart the editor. The next time you play, the player window will have these dimensions.

Hi matt,

thank you for the answer. seriously this is the way?! :sweat: I will have a look.

What about the scene? I would like to know the min/max size of it and see it in the editor to understand where I am putting my objects. Any advice?

Yup, there’s no window to set up the config yet, that’s an open issue that anyone’s welcome to pick up (hint, hint :wink: ).

As for scene limits, as far as I’m aware there are no limits. Your scene is as big as you make it by populating it with objects.

OK, if I have time I will try to help the development of the engine. :grinning:

About the scene, yeah that was clear what I am saying, if there is a way (especially for 2D games) to see what will be rendered in the view, to have an idea where the objects will be placed.

I’ve replied your other question :disappointed_relieved:… anyway, I don’t think there’s a way to do that with precision, and there’s an obvious problem in that that’s different aspect ratios. Say you want an image to show on the top-left part of the screen, if you position it in the scene space you can’t be sure it’s gonna display properly and it probably won’t. You want to use the screen space for that kinda stuff, maybe you can just use the GUI or maybe make responsive components that take the actual screen size into account.

For the actual game area, you want it to occupy as much of the screen as possible (probably), but a decent approach is to define a ‘safe area’ where you place the important gameplay elements and at runtime you just modify the camera to fit that into the screen, on the boundaries you just add some decors so it isn’t empty on aspect ratios that don’t match the ‘safe area’ and you’re good to go :slight_smile:.

Hi Alan,

Yep I saw the answer, I replied to that, I will keep this about orientation.

Here I was asking a way to set the screen orientation to fit what I want to design, I will try with Matt’s solution.

Regarding the area, some game engines, like cocos2dx, phaser and corona have the chance to set in which way the engine is going to display the assets on the real device, say a mobile. I have the impression that Atomic works like Unity3D, where you have to calculate manually what to show.

Thanks, but that doesn’t explain how to configure the orientation on mobile devices, and also, when running from visual studio that setting doesn’t work.